POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : tools for creating image maps ? : Re: tools for creating image maps ? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tools for creating image maps ?
From: TonyB
Date: 20 Sep 1999 07:26:46
Message: <37e619f6@news.povray.org>
><flame>
>Why can't Photoshop get PNG files right?  Not only does it seem to have no
>way to view my palette when I'm editing a "indexed color" image, but when I
>save as PNG, it saves as a 8-bit/sample RGB file!  Isn't that kind of
>missing the point?!
></flame>

Have you had a look at the help files? What version are you using? Mine
(5.5) does this (saving) just fine, and I can see the palette any time I
want.

>What tool (running under Windows NT) can I use to find out what palette I
>ended up with in a GIF file?  That is, I need to know which color index is
>which RGB value, so I can set up my "transmit" modifiers properly in the
>image_map statement.

Have you tried "exporting" it as a GIF instead of saving it as a GIF after
color reduction?

>Better yet, how can I put them in the order I want in the first place, so I
>don't have to re-do it every time I edit the file?

You've got me there. I know of a BMP utility for making startup screens that
allows this, but no other program. You can also save the palette and use it
for other images later on.

>Do I need to write a BMP/TGA to PNG converter that takes an optional
palette
>file as input to guide the conversion, or does something like that already
>exist?

The more the merrier...